Monday, August 11, 2008

Character of the Day: Homer J Simpson

The first character I am talking about is our yellow skinned hero, Homer Simpson. Everyone should know who he is. If you don't, then you don't have a TV. Obnoxious, rude and basically an alcoholic, Homer is seemingly a terrible father, husband and friend to have. In most cases you would be right, but you can tell that Homer actually has a heart of gold. Sure, he messes up a lot and does some downright awful things (strangling a 10 year old, anyone?), but in the end he is always willing to put things right. He loves his family and would do anything for them, such as hiring mobsters to help his wife sell pretzels, risking $2000 for a half-brother who hates him, giving up his dream to ride a blimp so his daughter can enter a beauty pagent feel pretty and facing a mob of us crazy Australians to avoid his son getting kicked in the bum. He is a very important character for me because he (along with the rest of the characters) was always there for me in a way. I know how lame that sounded but it's true. I wasn't exactly the happiest guy when I was younger, but I could always count on the Simpsons to be there for me. I suppose I should also than Channel 10 aswell, for not having anything else to put on most the time, so usually we could have it on every night, sometimes up to three episodes. The Simpsons always makes me smile. Anyway, moving on. I guess part of what makes Homer perfect is how far from perfect he is. He is obviously not the smartest guy around, and he has a lot of issues. He has to work hard to be the husband and father he wants to be. He's not the nicest person, with an apparent hatred of his infinitely happy and friendly neighbour Ned Flanders, but even with him, he will come through for in the end. He cares for people a lot more than he lets on. In more recent years he has become more of a jerk, but I still like his character a lot, since the true character always shines though the jerkiness. This is why he is my first character of the day. Come back tomorrow to see who is next. No, it won't be someone from The Simpsons.

No comments: